If you have not yet joined this Challenge you need to get with it. The Deadline approaches, so I would recommend that you think about it. This is not just about entering a contest and making points. Having an accountability partner is crucial when you are trying to make lifestyle changes
Every year for as long as I can remember I've resolved to get healthy or lose weight. Most years I try for the first week and then my real life takes over.
Last year I went to my cousin's college graduation in May. As I was looking at the pictures of the event I didn't recognize myself. There was no way those pictures could have been of me. Somehow I didn't look the same size in the picture as I looked to myself in the mirror.
After stepping back and taking an objective look I knew I needed to do something. On the scale, I was the heaviest I had ever been (except when I was 9 months pregnant with my son). The numbers on the scale were creeping dangerously close to 200.
My husband and I started walking together in the evenings. I bought a pedometer and tried to hit 10,000 steps each day. We bought an elliptical and started using it and the treadmill that had been in our bedroom for years. We didn't formally diet but we were much more careful about what we ate and how much.
Eventually the pounds began to come off. By the end of the year we had both lost at least 20 pounds. I am at least a size smaller - sometimes 2 sizes down!
The important thing for me was how much better I feel. I wasn't even conscious of feeling bad about my weight but now that my weight is down a bit I feel more confident and more attractive.
I find it much harder to stick to a good regimen during the Winter. I love to walk and the cold weather and early darkness makes that harder. When I'm stuck at home I eat more. A vicious cycle!
I'm sure i'm not the only person who needs additional motivation to continue to make healthier decisions in my life.
Join me in getting healthy in the rain.
- Set a health related goal - This doesn't have to be weight loss related. it could be to exercise more, get more regular sleep, lower your blood pressure, stop smoking, cut back on your drinking, whatever you think you need to change.
- Write a post about the goal - explain why you have chosen this goal and how you would like to be supported. The first post needs to be completed by 2/4/2013.
- Update your progress - Write a post updating us on how it's going by 3/4/2013. Tell us how it's going. Discuss your challenges and successes.
- Final Post - Before 4/1/2013 write a sum up post. Discuss how it went. Focus on how you are going to continue the healthy behavior throughout the year.
- Posts your blogs in the Get Healthy in the Rain Group. Feel free to post there often for ongoing support as we try to get healthy together.
- Upon completion of the contest, send one email with a link to all three blogs to me and Kerrie Greenhalgh in one email to receive 1500 points.
- At the end of the challenge the three greatest health triumphs will receive a featured post and 3000 bonus points.
In addition to me there will be 2 other judges who will help select the three greatest health triumphs.
If you or someone you know would like information about buying, selling, or renting a home in Prince George's, Montgomery, Charles, Calvert, Anne Arundel, Howard, and/or Baltimore Counties please contact Dr. Stacey-Ann Baugh of Century 21 New Millennium.
Dr. Stacey-Ann Baugh
Century 21 New Millennium
FINALLY! A DOCTOR WHO MAKES HOUSE-CALLS!
Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed!
C. Lloyd McKenzie, MBA
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices
New Mexico Properties/Allstar, REALTORS
6739 Academy Rd. NE SU 200
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87109
Areas Served: Albuquerque Metro/ Algodones/ Bernalillo/ Cedar Crest/ Corrales/ Edgewood/ Los Lunas/ Los Ranchos de Albuquerque/ Placitas/ Rio Rancho/ Sandia Park/ Tijeras